The perfectly cruel DIY theme for only the most marvelous fashionista.
My daughters and I watched the new Disney’s Cruella movie on Disney+. We were floored at the incredible music, fashion and performances by both Emma Stone and Emma Thompson. Every single character, line, set detail, song choice, were impecible. I wouldn’t expect anything else from a true Cruella film.
After watching, naturally, my oldest wanted nothing more than a Cruella themed birthday party for her 8th birthday this year. I obviously jumped at the opportunity to put my craft supplies and skills to work on this fun original theme: “I am 8, hear me roar!” As you can imagine, there really isn’t much available when it comes to purchasing any Cruella themed party supplies. Which meant it was time to get creative.
Since the pandemic, we haven’t had any party opportunites like this, and we decided it was time to invite a few close friends and have some fun with this theme. Friends of mine helped create this beautiful “Cruella worthy” event. The rest was all simple do it yourself projects I whipped up. I focused on red, black and white, a grunge asthetic and I don’t worry about being a perfectionist. The best part of this theme, was messy was ok! Really anyone can do this, it’s mostly about color and just being creative!
Below you’ll find LINKS TO PRODUCTS I used, VENDOR LINKS that helped, and some FREE DOWNLOADS with some templates you can use too! I hope you enjoy it! Don’t forget to tag me or comment below if you used any of these ideas yourself! I can’t wait to see what you do!
Cruella Themed Birthday Party Ideas:
- Ripped Cruella fabric pieces to use for table decor and/or table cloths.
- Fashion themed gift bag treats, like pearl necklaces, sunglasses, scrunchies, and more.
- Photobooth with $4 red carpet rolls you can find at a party store, for a true “Red Carpet” experience.
- Handmade backdrop using a white queen sized bed sheet, spray paint and brushed on acrylic paint.
- “Pin the glasses on Cruella” game, or a pin the tail on a dalmation.
- Fashion design templates for kids to draw outfits, use fabric scraps, ribbons and coloring crayons to let kids design their own creative outfits. (FREE DOWNLOAD LINK BELOW)
- Custom Sugar cookies with fashion designs, like scissors, spool of thread, shoes, glasses, kids name, age, etc.
- Balloon garlands EVERYWHERE! Such an inexpensive and fun way to add lots of color and a fun style.
- Houndstooth table cloths and tissue paper.
- Dress Form, with fabric draped over it, like a work in progress. You can always ask a friend to borrow one like I did.
- Use a sewing box, sewing machine, and other supplies as table decor!
- Cruella cake topper made with either paper or acrylic (we used acrylic with my Glowforge). (FREE DOWNLOAD LINK BELOW)
- Cork boards with fabric patterns, fabric, ribbon, tool, and sketches pinned to it like a mood board.
- Have your birthday kiddo draw some fashion sketches, and hang them up as decorations!
- Sticker sheets! I used my Silhouette Cameo4 and made my own for the first time! (FREE DOWNLOAD BELOW)
- T-shirts with HTV logo/designs! I made a logo like House of Baroness but for my daughter, and ironed it onto a black shirt I already had!
- Music playlist! We set up a bluetooth speaker and used Spotify to play the Cruella soundtrack!
- An epic grunge themed cake! Find a local baker or you could honestly DIY a cake and again GRUNGE it up!
- The Disney Store has Cruella themed outfits that are so cute and super reasonable, plus they can wear them beyond the party becuase they aren’t “costumes”!
This party had total grunge Cruella vibes, and all the details just came together. I was so happy with how we were able to make this unique theme come to life, and I think Fiona was truly surprised. She had the absolute best time with her friends, and some came dressed up to match the vibe. One of her friends arrived in an adorable black dress, necklace and sunglasses, and the first words out of her mouth were “The party looks fabulous darling, just mervelous.” It was an instant win in my book.
“The party looks fabulous darling.
I think the biggest hit of the party was probably the photobooth, provided by Smirk Photobooth! It was such a fun way to give the kids something fun to do and keep them occupied, plus make a ton of memories! The background literally took only 1-2 hours in total, and my daughter was able to help with it by adding her own drawings, hand prints and writing! It was so much fun to work on together, and under $25!
- Disney Cruella outfits: LINK
- Party Favors from Amazon:
- Pearl Necklaces: LINK
- Cruella fabric from Joann:
- 120Pcs Red Black White Silver Balloon Garland Kit: LINK
- 50pcs, 12 Inch Black Marble Agate Latex Balloons: LINK
- Houndstooth Table Cloth: LINK
- Party Favor Bag Sticker Image Ideas: LINK
- Cake: Sugar Geek Show
- Dessert Table and Balloon Installation: Johnston Style
- Photobooth: Smirk Photobooth
- Sugar Cookies: Que Dulce Decor
- Macaron Cookies: Donna’s Macarons
- Cake Topper, Party Bags, Photobooth Backdrop and Details: Olive + Apron
- Sticker Sheet Download
- Designer Fashion Template w/Logo: PDF
- Eye Glasses SVG (for pin the glasses on Cruella)
- Cake Topper SVG
I’m Devan, a mom of 3, a wife, a full-time working mom, business owner, PTA parent, and hyperfixation extrodinare (thanks ADHD).
On my blog you’ll blog posts about DIY crafting, home projects, celebrations, and of course a few recipes. I believe in always learning and growing, and most importantly quality time with friends, family and especially some self care.